Once you find the apprenticeship that suits you, we want you to succeed
We have spoken to some of TDR’s assessors and asked for their top tips to help you succeed in your chosen apprenticeship.
- Tip 1: Always be reliable and punctual.
- Tip 2: Be enthusiastic about the tasks you have been set. Be willing to learn and take on new challenges. A positive approach to every task will get you noticed and remembered.
- Tip 3: Get to know the people you are working with. Learning people’s names and what they do will make you feel like part of the team and make connections for the future.
- Tip 4: Don’t be afraid to ask any questions. As an apprentice, you really need to understand what you are learning. Just remember no question is a stupid question. People will be happy to give you advice and guidance.
- Tip 5: Take ownership of your apprenticeship. Find out as much as you can about it so you have a clear understanding of what it is you’re doing and the requirements of the qualifications you are studying.
- Tip 6: Organise your time. Complete and hand in work before the submission dates. This will show your assessor that you are an organised and punctual individual.
- Tip 7: Pay attention to workplace mentors – they have lots of experience in the area you’re studying and so have plenty of knowledge.
- Tip 8: Be an independent learner and proactive. It is good to be enthusiastic about learning new skills.
- Tip 9: Keep a logbook of jobs you complete in the workplace. This means if you get stuck on anything you can query your assessors. Also, it’s good to have a record for when it comes to endpoint assessments or future interviews.
- Tip 10: Try and invest in your apprenticeship by getting the appropriate resources, for example, a laptop, if you can afford it. This means you can do work from home and stay on top of your workload.
AND REMEMBER – it is YOUR apprenticeship and YOUR future so own it, enjoy it, work hard and get the most out of it!